Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Midnight


On November 4, 2008, when Sista Souljah’s new book "Midnight" was released, I had to get the book that day. You would think a person who had to make purchase on the first day would have engrossed themselves in the book immediately. Well, that wasn't the case. I read a few pages and was captivated with the young man,Midnight. But I did something I have never done after deciding to read a book. I read the book reviews on Amazon.com.

I didn't read the five stars reviews, but the one and two stars. So many reading were up in arms, since the book was not a continuation of “The Coldest Winter Ever.” Therefore, I took on their negativity. Instead of reading for enjoyment, I just read bits and pieces every now and then until my sister told me she read it. Then I was enthusiastic about completing it. She just raved about the storyline. We both discussed Midnight, the character, how strong, sexy, mature and resourceful he was for an adolescent. She also gave the thumbs up for my sixteen year old adolescent son to read. So I picked up were I left off. I had Joshua read the first seven pages to see if he would be interested in reading and he did. Nevertheless, I wanted to stay ahead of him in the book. :o)

As we both read, I started realizing that I haven’t prepared him as well as I could. He knows how the take care of his clothes (wash, iron, fold and put away), make sure his hygiene is in order, cook breakfast and etc. However, he is sheltered, which isn’t the best for a young man. But, society has aided in the mama bear must protect and guide her cub for him to receive a fair chance at the American dream. He must stay out of trouble, have good grades, be well mannered, rounded and grounded. Even so, I have missed some key areas.

Midnight” has expanded my parenting goals to include my son learning and growth in the following areas.

Finances – How to grocery shop? How to pick out vegetables and fruits and etc? How to be an educated consumer? How and why you save?

Communication - I need to continue to feed my knowledge and life experience to him.

Environment – Know your surroundings and what affect they play.

Spiritual – Reading the Bible, live it every day and not to compromise your faith in Jesus Christ.

I have seen positive changes in Joshua while reading the book. I have to admit, I can’t help but saying to him, “Midnight would do that.” :o)
Peace for now
Lechelle

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. My son really likes "The Coldest Winter Ever", I'll have to check out "Midnight".

    ReplyDelete