Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Enough is Enough

November 2008, I read The Total Money Makeover, by Dave Ramsey after finding The Dave Ramsey podcast on iTunes. I began downloading the podcast daily and listened at work. What caught my attention were people calling in say, "I'm Debt Free." It just radiated throughout my being, because deep down in my heart I really want to be debt free. Well, I read the book and was gun hold about starting the program. Here are the Seven Baby Steps.

  • $1,000 in an emergency fund
  • Pay off all debt using the snowball methold
  • Three to six months expenses in savings
  • Invest 15% of your household income into Roth IRA's and pre-tax retirement plans.
  • Save for your children's college fund using tax-favored plans
  • Pay off your home early
  • Build wealth and give!

I am a shame to say I haven't completed Baby Step One. I am so busy with my employer's financial books and mine need serious attention. So, in January, I signed up for Financial Peace University program at a local church, because I am desperate to get it right. Saturdays was the first class day and I was really excited. The class is two hours (8-10am) for thirteen weeks, a total of fifteen students, and two instructors.


We received our Financial Peace University material that comes with reading material, workbook, cd's and etc. We then started with prayer. Now it was time for Dave’s lecture via DVD. The lecture was great and very meaningful. We had a group discussion, which is my favorite. It the time when we can share our struggles and get encourage. At dismal, we were given chapter reading material and homework to complete before our next meeting. One of the reasons, I am taking the class is to be held accountable. I need a setting where I do not want to be the one who has not completed the weekly assignment. The classroom setting brings out the competed side in me. I know it should be my motivating factor, but it helps. My goal is to be credit card debt free before my son leaves for college and a good handle on paying my students loans.


What I got from my first class is money is active and you will either lean to manage money, or the lack of it will always manage you.


"In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has."
-Proverbs 21:20 (NIV)

Love ya & God Bless!

PS: Please read a book by Dave Ramsey this year, if you haven't. It will change your family tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment