It's a traditional for my son and me to watch the Super Bowl together and yesterday we were both glued to the television. Our spread was baked chicken wings, a soft taco layered with the meat mixture, kidney beans, Monterey Jack Cheese and salsa, a chili & cheese dip and cheesecake. We were going for the Steelers as a team, but Kurt Warner as a person. This was our time to bond, give each other high fives, talk to the television and us just have good old fun.
I know he appreciates these times, because I'm not preaching and drilling him. I try not to be overbearing, but I feel the need to school him about life and correct him. Boys are just so different to raise. Why don't they get the simple things - pick up your clothes, close the kitchen pantry when you are done, call when you get home from school, brush your hair, do you have your bus pass and on and on and on. I am not exaggerating.
On Friday, after a long week of getting up and going to school I don't demand much of Joshua - just relax and chill. He takes full advantage of the situation and watches television, view animated Japanese cartoons on the Internet and play those video games. However, I told him that Saturday he needs to study for his Spanish test, which this class has challenged him. So, I left for my belly dancing class and he was supposed to study Spanish and anything else. He knew the game would be on Sunday. Well Joshua didn't study much in my absences. So, Sunday after church he had to study before the game. I started not to allow him to watch it. It just drives me crazy when a plan is in place and he doesn't follow the bit.
Today, he took the test and I received a call at work. Joshua informs me that he didn't do well on the Spanish test. I told him, "You got out of it what you put in it." You didn't study and your grade reflects it. After our conversation, I pulled up his grades in all of him classes, which he has A's and B's. I know they are good, but his Engineering class he has a D. I was in shock. So the overbearing mother emails the teacher to see what we can do to assist Joshua. Last semester, Joshua had an A in the class and we need to get him back on course. I understand the coursework gets harder, but he needs to realize that he needs to push himself.
That's not the end of it. I printed out his grades for each class for January and wrote him a note about his progress. The majority of the comments were great, because he is doing well. I encourage him to study hard so he could maintain his A's and B's and to do his best work and work hard to improve his Engineering and Spanish grades. Joshua is a good student, but he can be a great student.
When do boys get it?

OK, I AM NOT A PARENT SO I AM SPEAKING FROM SOMEONE A LITTLE CLOSER TO HIS AGE. MY FIRST TWO YEARS OF HIGH SCHOOL I STRUGGLED. IT WASNT THAT I COULDN'T APPLY MYSELF, I WOULDN'T. WHEN I LOOK BACK I REALIZE I WASN'T HAPPY. MY PROFESSIONAL OPINION IS ALWAYS LOOK AT THE UNDERLYING THINGS THAT COULD BE GOING ON AT THIS TIME IN HIS LIFE. GROWING UP, FRIENDSHIPS DEVELOPING, TRYING TO FIT IN, GETTING TO KNOW YOURSELF, ETC.
ReplyDeleteDON'T GET ME WRONG I AM NOT MAKING EXCUSES FOR LAZINESS. BUT THIS IS A CRITICAL TIME IN TEENAGERS LIFE WHERE THEY EITHER SNAP INTO LIFE OR SNAP OUT OF IT.
YOU ARE HIS MOTHER YOU KNOW HIM BETTER THAN HIS AUNT. I AM JUST GIVING MY OPINION.
LOVE YA
Oh Wow!
ReplyDeleteI have a 19 year old in college. I know exactly where you're coming from. My son was a good student but didn't exactly apply himself to the fullest in HS. He socialized quite a bit- Mr. Popular. He was also like this during his freshman year of college- Mr. Politician.
Word of experience, if you're a good mom don't worry. He will turn out fine. I was told this by other moms and teachers and it's true. My son is beginning to take the books very serious now. Some boys are late bloomers and don't initiate responsibility. We mommies tend to spoil them because they are usually sort of needy. "Mom can you do this?" You know the rest.
If he has time and if you're comfortable, little part-time jobs help with responsibilty and time management. It also does wonders for their self confidence as young men.
We're still battling the dirty room thing. His dorm was a mess too.