Sunday, February 1, 2009

It's Hard Work

Have you ever had a perceived idea that an activity would be one way and it was something totally different? Well, my "first" belly dance class was that activity. I thought I would go and they would show a sista how to move her hips, which was the case. However, I wasn't prepared for the warm-up and stretching exercises and looking at the dreadful image of myself in the mirror. Can you imagine a room with mirrors all around unable to mask with clothes. I thought my outfit was cute until I really saw me. It was a big eye opener in many ways. I am what I eat (ice cream, hot fries, chocolate and etc.) and you need to get rid of those 25lbs and it's time to stop playing and get into action with eating healthy and exercising. Now, I wasn't the only one looking crazy, but I know I shouldn't be in this condition.

The class was amazing. I didn't know I would get a good leg, butt, abs, back and arm workout. Some of the moves working the lower and upper abs were difficult. I wasn't able to control my abs and the moves felt awkward. We did a few drills were we had to walk and do the moves we just learned in a circle around the dance floor. I made sure I was in the back. When we had completed the circle my heart rate had increased and I was thinking, "Dang, girl you are out of shape."

This was my first class and it was also Melissa's, but she had taken a belly dancing class a few years ago. I thought she did great! Our instructor "Salwa" was very graceful with her movements and a very attentive person. She made us newcomers feel welcome. She also included us in the choreography the others had been working on. It has been some time since I’ve done a choreography dancing and my mind wasn't retaining the sequence. I might be their weakest link. lol I can say that I am stepping out of my comfortable zone with this class and I really want to stay with it. I'll let you know when we will be performing.
:-)

If you are wondering what turned me on to the belly dancing class. Well, I have always wanted to learn, because it is very sensual and graceful. I just never followed through. I good friend, in Atlanta, called a few weeks ago and we were catching up. She has done a 180 in her career path. She's now a personal trainer, martial arts and belly dancing instructor. When she said, "Belly Dancing" the questions start pouring out of my mouth. She's started bellying dancing in 2007 to work on her abs muscles and they asked her to become an instructor. You can see Noreen, which isn't her real name, (FYI: They use Middle Eastern names when they become instructors. My new name is just over the horizon for me.), on the below YouTube spot. She is the shortest, with black hair and has on a blus costume. If you fast-forward to .36 seconds, you will see her. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I know as an dancer that you use every muscle in your body. When I start classes again I know I will be crying the next day.( out of shape) Soak in green alcohal, it helps. Love the new backround.

    ReplyDelete