Thursday, March 26, 2009
My Next Move...
My heart just isn't in my current employment. I'm bored! It's just that simply. Last year, I worked extremely hard to prove myself and to receive a 2% raise was a letdown. Before, the cross-the-board raise amount was announced I had my review with my manager. I received a GREAT evaluation. She also told me I was the best accountant she has ever worked with. In my disbelief I said, "Really." I was floored, because she has been in the industry for more than 20 years and has worked with a number of people. I give God all the glory.
When I started here I did a lot soul searching, because I didn't want to bring the bad habits I created at other workplaces. In example, I would talk excessively on the telephone locally or long-distance, constantly on the Internet checking and writing emails, then studying for test or doing class work and etc. However, I was always dependable - on time, stayed late, always there. These bad habits derived due to complete boredom. Not interested in the tasks.
I'm bored again and guess what I'm reading blogs whenever I can. :-)
So now it's time to "Take Control of My Career." During my review, my manager and I discussed my next career move and it should be an accounting manager. I have never managed people and previously wanted to stay clear from managing, because I wanted to do a job and go home without the other issues. Now that I'm in my career field management is in my future.
Over the weekend, I told myself that I needed to start preparing for my new management job and began reading books on leadership. When I left my last position I was given several books. I found the books in my closet and two on leadership. I was excited, because I didn't have to spend any money.
Monday morning, while getting ready for work, I was listening to Pastor Sheppard and he was talking about being a leader. What really resonated in me was when he said, "A leader makes sure everyone under then is fine and not themselves." Interesting! Most of the managers/owners I've worked with have been only interested in themselves and the people above them.
On a scale from 1 - 10 (10 being the highest) I give my current manager a 7. Upper-management would get a 3. They are only concern with everyone above them. The COO and VP are interested in the CEO/President and the CEO/President interested in Dad who is the largest investor. Don't you think if you take care of your employees they will make a strong effort in doing a great job? I would!
I'm going to take you on my journey as I embark on a new adventure. My goals are to read leadership books, work on updating my resume, find out what invigorates me and what tasks have provided the greatest sense of accomplishment.
Does Your Manager Have Your Best Interest In Heart or Are They More Concerned With Themselves and Upper-Management?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Oh Lechelle,
ReplyDeleteThat's great that you've decided to move up in your career. I have sort of been forced to do the same. I wish you well.
What's up with these companies and their small salary increases? My job pulled that one last year. I happended to change positions and received a salary adjustment because of that, but no merit raise. This year I won't even get the 2% due to a freeze. They laid off 88 people yesterday so I can't complain right now.
I find myself blogging due to boredom or stress as well, but not at work.
Thanks for following my blog, I really appreciate seeing the one follower in my box. I really don't care if it doesn't increase by much.
P.S.
ReplyDeleteMy director didn't have my best interest at heart. She didn't share anything of relevance with me. She was fired and didn't share anything with her staff. It's pretty pitiful right now.
That wasn't considerate of your manager. It will come back to bite her and she will always remember how childish she acted.
ReplyDeleteWe talked about this last week I think. Do what you need to do. You have the skills, use them.
ReplyDelete