Sunday, March 29, 2009

"Interested" or "Committed"

I want to be a good manager one day. I want the individuals under me to say, "She's a good manager and I want those same qualities." I'm reading The Heart of a Leader: Insights on the Art of Influence by Ken Blanchard. It is a GREAT quick read. I'll share from the book periodically, because I'll revisit the book every now and then. Here is a quote that stood out when reading yesterday.

When you are "interested" in doing something, you only do it when it's convenient, but when you are "committed" you follow through no matter what - no excuses!

As I read, my mind went straight to my commitment to exercise. I'm not committed to exercising. I'll do good one week and then the next week I'll get in maybe two days of exercising and my goal is to exercise four times a week.

I need to stop trying, but actually do it. I don't want to be "Interested." I want to be "Committed." So that means rain or shine, I'll be exercises four days a week. :-)

But it's greater than just exercising. I need to be committed in every thing I do, if I'm just interested I need to commit or not do it at all.

What task do you struggle in being "Committed" and not just "Interested"?


Trying is just a noisy way of not doing something. - Ken Blanchard The Heart of a Leader

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lechelle,

    I think the author's concept is good, but many times the all or nothing concept increases the likelihood of giving up which leads to failure.


    This is especially true for weight loss and excercise. I once had a short term goal to lose weight in 3 months. However, my plan made provisions for moments of falling off the wagon. I reached my goal in less than 2 months. It was comforting to me knowing perfection wasn't expected which increased my compliance. I fell of the wagon a couple of times and got right back on and it was alright.

    I learned commitment is not based on timelines but not quitting. One of my biggest accomplishments to date was based on the tale of the rabbit and the hare. I turtle paced my way through nursing school by stopping along the way to furnish a new house one semester and something else another semester. If I never returned to school after sitting out based on the all or nothing concept, I wouldn't have had the career and opportunities I have today.

    On the other hand, most of my classmates who stayed on course have not received the opportunities I have even though it took me longer to complete my nursing degree. I graduated third in my class.

    That's just an example of what God intends for us is designated and pre-ordained not based on timelines. I believe only when we give up it should be compared to not doing something.

    To date, I've work with so many women who feel the need to tell me they were almost a nurse or they were accepted to nursing school once, or they wanted to go to nursing school but they didn't, or some reason they didn't finish. You know what? Even though they completed some hours or were accepted, they don't count, not because they didn't try but because they gave up.

    Exercise anyway even if you don't reach your mark of perfection everytime. When you're trim and fine, no one is going whisper that you didn't work out 4 days a week like you promised or you ate that hamburger. The fact that you reached your goal will outweigh anything it took to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely Right! Thank you so much for your encouraging words and another perspective.

    ReplyDelete