Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Aunt Bee

Yesterday, my Dad's sister, Bee, called. My heart dropped, because she has never called me. So the first thing out of my mouth was, "Is everything okay." It was good news. Her oldest son is getting married in June. When I saw her over Thanksgiving she wasn't sure if there actually would be a wedding.


I'm not close to my Dad's side of the family. I really don't know what happen, but I have my opinion. However, recently, I have been interested in reconnecting with friends and family members. So when I was in Memphis, for Thanksgiving, I made an effort to visit some of my family. It was really nice seeing them, but I haven't connected with them since and now with the wedding two months away I'm excited about seeing everyone again.


I told me Aunt that I would ask my sister to come, because she hasn't had any contact with them since a toddler, which is sad. My aunt said, "She'll probably look at us and say I don't know them people." I was laughing inside, because I could see her face and her saying those exact words.


I really hope my sister will consider coming to the wedding. I really believe it will be good for all of us (Daddy, big sis and lil sis) to be together for this event.


I have found it hard to rebuild relationship with people. It's like you have a pattern/plan that you are following (or doing) and it seems difficult (or you can say focus) to add them into your routine. I'll make a conscious effort to allow them in my life for a while and then they fizzle out. I know it takes both people to work in relationships and friendships.


I always remember a card I received, over fifteen year ago, from a friend. In the card she wrote, "Friendships are only for a season." I told her that we would be friends forever. Guess what? We aren't friends today, but if I saw her it wouldn't be any hard feelings.


Then, I didn't understand, but people are only in our lives for a season and it's important that we value them for as long as they are. However, I know some people you need to let go, because they don't mean you any good.


Do you need to reconnect with someone today, if so who and why?

6 comments:

  1. Ha. You know your sister. I bet you can see my facial expression. I am trying to work on how I treat strangers (that's what they are) but I am not there yet. There is a possiblity I will go. But I have to drive my car so when I am ready to go visit my other folks I can do so. You know how I get when I am ready to go.

    As far a reconnecting with family members. On my mom's side we are pretty close. Maybe some of my college friends I would like to see again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! My family reunion is in St. Louis in June. I don't want to go either. I don't know my bio- dad's family either. He died when I was a baby.

    I told my mom I didn't have a desire to go. She's tried to talk to me about it, but I just really don't want to be bothered. I don't know these people and I don't want to see the tears and etc. It just makes me uncomfortable.
    This could have been my post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you left out one equation of the trip Daddy's wife. I am definately driving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sis, you know I'm not riding with Daddy and his wife. See we both have our Mom's sides of the family in Memphis. I'm also going to need a car. Maybe I'll rent a car when I get there. I have friends I want to see. lol I hope you will go.

    Angela...you need to come see your dad's family. Take your hubby and son for support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a tough one. I think it's true that some we meet just for a season. I am okay with that, because at the same time there are others for a lifetime. I need to connect with a girlfriend who I met taking yoga. When I moved away we lost touch. We still communicate(birthdays and Christmas) but not like we did before. I still think of her and find it hard to make that call. I think the longer time passes the harder it gets. I also think its a two way street. She could also contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree...I had a friend who reached out to me last night and it was great talking to her and catching up. It had been over a year since we talk. It was really nice...REACH OUT!!!!

    ReplyDelete