When I was a little girl I spent most of my summer in Memphis with my grandmother. My grandfather was there, but Granny took care of us (us = me and my other cousin). Granny would allow the boys to go and do whatever, but my cousin Angela and me (the girls) we couldn't do anything without her permission. You know that was wrong.
My Granny past away a few years ago and I still miss her. I have this beautiful picture in my family room that I purchased in her memory, because it has all the character I saw in my Granny - brown skin, beautiful long gray hair, colorful personality, strength, peaceful and a lot of style.
Those summers were very special. Here are some of the reasons.
- Granny could cook and I do mean cook. She got a seven year old me to go home from the summer asking my mother for some okra. lol
- I remember the time when Granny had just pressed our hair, which was a lot of work. My cousin and I got in the shower and wet our hair. Granny came in the bathroom with a brush and tore us up. :o)
- Granny always gave and showed us love.
- The custard she made for the homemade ice cream was the best.
- She taught us how to pick fresh vegetable from the family farm, which wasn’t fun.
- Granny would sing while she was cleaning. It was interesting, because she couldn't hold a note.
- We would say, “Do that dance,” and Granny would do this special dance for us and we would fall out laughing. It was so cute. Granny didn't have rhythm.
- Granny never learned how to drive, but she was an excellent passenger driver. She could show you how to get anywhere in Memphis.
- Granny had beautiful long gray hair. I remember she would allow us to comb and brush it at night.
- I loved sitting on my Granny's lap. I fit perfect in her arms for a very long time. As an adult I would sit on her lap. :o) I wasn't overweight then.
- She was funny! She would talk about my uncles, her son’s very good. Now, we would call it jonning.
I really LOVED that woman. She was the rock of the family. I look forward to seeing her in heaven.
Who do you miss and what memory about them puts a smile on your face?

Oh Lechelle,
ReplyDeleteThat's beautiful. It brought tears and laughter to me. I also miss my Granny.
I miss all my family members that have passed on, but I miss my great grandmother (grandfather on mother side mother). She watched all us kid when we were young. She always had a banana and a honey bun waitng for me at her house:) My prestee( her name was Precious, we called her prestee) also had long hair and she only let me or my mom brush it. My uncle says that I act like her. I do know that I have her hair. It was so thin just like mine. She passed away when I was in 5th grade. I remember like it was yesturday. Can't wait to see her
ReplyDeletethanks for the shout out. Again your words ring so close to home. It was like I was reading my own writing. I miss a lot of my family that has passed, but I especially think about my Granny. She has been gone over 30 years, but I think about her so often. I know she would be so proud of me today. I feel her presence at times and know that she is much a part of me. She was the first person to show me God. Thank you Granny I miss you and know your spirit lives on♥
ReplyDeleteThanks you ladies for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOne day someone will miss us. Let's remember to leave them with those great memories our grandmothers and great grandmothers have left us.
Lova you all!
Hey Lechelle,
ReplyDeleteI'm giving the blog a break. You can email me at adh5667@hotmail.com. I hope to see you guys in Memphis.