Monday, August 31, 2009

Did You Know Chivalry Is Not Dead?

I found out last week that chivalry is not dead when I didn't bring my lunch to work. I walked over to Moe's Southwest Grill for lunch. I get in line and begin my order - nachos to go with black bean, chicken, pico de gallo, cilantro, mince jalapenos and a side of queso. I can taste them now.lol There are two people in front of me and several behind. I say in my mind, "Go ahead and take out your money so you won't hold up the line." I reach in my purse and can't find my wallet. I can't believe it. I left it on the kitchen table at home. I tell the cashier that I don't have my wallet. Now, I'm embarrassed, because I have ordered my food and I can't pay. Plus I'm HUNGRY!

Kind Gentleman: You don't have any money.

Me: No, I left my wallet at home.

Kind Gentleman: I'll pay for it.
He wipes his American Express card out of his wallet.

Me: Thank you so much. I really appreciate your kindness.
I'm thinking I need his email address or business card or maybe I should give him my business card. Oh, I can't because I don't have my wallet that has my business cards. I need to pay this man back.

Me: I say I'm so embarrass.

Lady Behind Me: It's okay! He's a man don't worry about it.
I'm thinking she must be married, because I haven't had a man to take care of anything for me in a long time. :o) I look at the man again.

Me: Thank you so much. I really appreciate this! I really need to pay you back.

Kind Gentleman: Don't worry about it. You got to eat.

I was very grateful and as I walked back to my office I prayed that God would bless him and his family, because he didn't have to extend the kindness.

Have you extended kindness to a stranger (or received kindness from stranger), if so please share your encounter?

FYI: I will always remember this act of kindness and will help someone in need in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I wonder if that man went to my church.LOL
    As you know we have been participating in random acts of kindess for the whole month of august with my church. I hope it becomes apart of my daily life. Just to do something nice for someone.

    Earlier this month after 1st service I went to the church cafe to get me a smoothie. When I went to pay, someone had already paid for my drink and the next person and about the next 20 people who ordered something. That was big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is really awesome! I've been in a similiar situation at the grocery store and had the same thing happen. And I haven't forgotten either, and this was years ago.

    Consequently, I've given xtra money to folks if they didn't have quite enough to cover their purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KeKe, I thought the same thing that maybe the man was a member of your church. lol

    Chocolate Orchid, just as you I will always remember the kind man and each out to others in need.

    What I've learned is that everyone needs someone and it just might be a strange that meets your need.

    ReplyDelete