Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I Love Run's House!


My favorite reality show has been Run's House, since Season Two aired. I have enjoyed watching with J, because of the family dynamics. They have opened their lives for everyone to see. I know they edit the episodes, but still have let us in to see the heartaches, struggles, and challenges. What has resonated with me the most is the FAMILY LOVE they have shown and how the father (Rev Run) is revered the head of house. He is very much respected by his family. I JUST LOVE THEM. So, I couldn't wait for Season Six to start. Oh boy did it start. (Yes my DVR/TiVo is set to record all new episodes.) :o)

J has slacked in watching a few seasons, which is fine. However, it was important that he watched last Monday's show. My heart sunk when JoJo (the oldest son) was arrested for possession of marijuana and reckless endangerment. I cried. Goodness, children can bring out so many emotions, because of their choices. It makes parents feel like they haven't done their job.



In watching the show, I was pleased how Rev Run handled the situation with JoJo, but it took big brother, Russell, to remind him of his marijuana smoking back in the day. At first, I thought Rev Run's only concern was the family image and not JoJo. Then, I remember how I have explained to J that he represents me when he's out and vice verse.

I could see the pain JoJo was feeling. He looked defeated, embarrassed, and remorseful. He knew that it wasn't the image he wanted portrayed to his younger brothers (Diggy & Russy). I have expressed to J that every choice has a consequent, because he has made a few questionable choices and one that was extremely disappointing.

This episode was a GREAT conversational piece for J and me. :o)

Run's House is the finest entertainment out and has been for four years. Check it out on Mondays 9 pm CST MTV.

What's your favorite reality television show and why?

How would you haved handle the situation, if your child was arrested for possession of marijuana? I pray this never happens to J, but I would hire an attorney and do my best to have the charges reduced. We would have talk (more like I would fuss) and let it go, because he would be beating himself up on the inside.

6 comments:

  1. I wouldn't hold it against him. Of course I would fuss and pay for an attorney to reduce the charges too. Children experiment and driving while black is a reality. They don't think about ramifications.

    Also forewarn J that brown cigars can be mistaken for drug paraphenalia. There's so much to worry and think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how parents react to a child smoking or drinking. I didn't see the episode so I don't know the specifics. What you do have to warn or children especially or boys that the rules are diffrent for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really applaud them for airing this episode. It's important for young men to recognize that no one is immune to outside influences no matter who your parents are. I just hope the lesson taken, is that you can always turn to those who have your best interest at heart...those who love you in spite of your mistakes etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chai - I also applaud them. Actually, I hadn't heard about the incident.

    KeKe - It's hard being a parent. I'll have to remind J about the rules.

    Angela - Children don't think about the ramifications. Thanks for reminding me about "driving while black." :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know Kimmy.. I've watched only 2 episodes because I'm anti-reality tv, and the first episode I watched I was so pleased with the message. The daughters went to Uncle Russell to ask if they could put their sneaker line in the window of his stores. Russell told them no and his reason was because the 'window display' is EARNED. That they would have to prove to him their line belongs in a window display at his flagship stores. They room immediately got cricketts because the daughters were looking like 'are you for real?' and Russ was like 'is there anything else?' That was the end of that convo! I thought that was a great lesson for his young neices/business owners and a great message to the young followers of the show. You have to work and not expect it to be placed in your lap because you have a Uncle Russell Simmons.

    As for the marijuana issue, I don't know what I would do. Since I'm not a parent, my immediate internal response was 'I'd let him learn a lesson and do nothing' but then I'm thinking to myself how that could ruin his/her future. It's easy for me to say I would be this super strict mom and let him see how stupid his decission was but you know the age old saying..'it's easier said than done.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cocoa, I'm glad you tuned in to the show. Keep watching it, because it's one the best reality shows out there today.

    ReplyDelete